About Free and Premium Games
Games on Tabletopia can have three statuses:
- Free: For personal use only. The game is closed and available to its creator or in a special play zone created and shared by the creator. Such games can be used for playtesting, demonstration to partners, etc. See Opening andSharing Games for details about play zones.
- Free: Available to all users. The game is open and available in the All Games catalog on Tabletopia. Any registered player can play the game. Games are opened by Tabletopia moderators and need to comply with several requirements, see Requirements for Public Games on Tabletopia and Opening and Sharing Games. These games can be used for worldwide promotion and marketing campaigns, etc.
- Premium: Available to paying users. The game is open and available in the All Games catalog but features premium setups available to Premium users only. Such games take part in our monetization program.
Our monetization model is based on 70/30 revenue share. Note that you are not required to have a paid account to take part in monetization.
Monetization formula. Each quarter of a year Tabletopia calculates the following values:
- Number of premium users who played the game during this period
- NP: amount of money received from them
- TH: total hours they played on our system during this period
- GH: total hours they played the game during this period
The publisher’s share is calculated by the formula NP / TH * GH * 70%. Publishers will receive quarterly reports with these values and have access to player statistics for their games.
How to Apply for Premium Status
We would like to ensure that games in the Premium catalog attract as many players as possible and for that they need to fulfill various requirements.
Tabletopia Team decides whether a game is eligible for the Premium catalog.
Such games need to comply with the requirements for public games (see Requirements for Public Games on Tabletopia) and also must be appealing to the Premium audience. The criteria include:
- Digital implementation on the platform
Each game is evaluated and discussed individually. If you have a game you would like to monetize on Tabletopia, contact us at email@example.com.
If your game is eligible, together with Tabletopia you will decide which setups you want to make Premium and which keep free.
You can make the whole game Premium but we strongly recommend making at least introductory setups free to give players a taste of the gameplay. Also, free setups attract much more audience.
Setups can be divided in various ways, see below for examples.
Examples of Premium Setups
Some examples of dividing the setups for Premium games include:
The free setups include only some of the factions featured in the game and bonus tiles, designed specially for the introductory games and described in the rules. If players want to use all factions or add promo content, they must play Premium setups.
The two-player version of the game is free, while all other player counts are paid.
The setups featuring content from base game + expansions are paid, while the basic game at all player counts is free.